Inquiries concerning works of art in personal collections.
Appraisals and Authentication
The VMFA cannot provide either monetary appraisals or authentication of art works. The following organizations provide such services:
National Institute of Appraisers
InternationalFine Art Appraisers
ArtDealers Association of America
Private Art Dealers Association
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
VMFA's Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library may be able to assist you with obtaining information on works in your collection.
If you would like to contact the museum regarding a proposed exhibition at VMFA, please e-mail the Exhibitions department.
Donations or Offers of Sale
If you are interested in donating or selling a work of art to the museum:
• Inform us if you are interested in donating or selling the work of art to the Museum or offering the work to the Museum on loan, and, if so, please include the value and ownership history of the work.
• Include as many details as possible regarding the artist, title, date, medium, dimensions, signature, ownership and other history and any additional information that may be pertinent.
• Provide a digital image or photocopy of a photograph of the work. NOTE: Do not send original photographs as the Museum cannot be responsible for their safekeeping.
• Indicate whether or not you own the work.
• You may e-mail your inquiry including the above information to the Collections Department. Please put Offer of Donation or Sale in the subject line, and attach jpgs of the work.
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Attn: Collections Department
200 N. Boulevard
Richmond, VA 23220-4007
Please do not send original photographs.
Internships are periodically available in the curatorial department depending on upcoming projects and need. Here's how to apply.