The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking an experienced leader who is passionate about customer service to join the Visitor Services Department as an Assistant Manager of Visitor Services. The Assistant Manager will facilitate an environment of service excellence, ensuring the quality of visitor interactions in person, over the telephone, and online. This position supervises and trains all Visitor Services staff; updates handbooks and customer service materials to ensure consistency throughout the department; responds to visitor inquiries and customer service issues; and updates the online calendar and ticketing system as needed. This is a full time, non-exempt position with benefits. This position works varied shifts during VMFA’s public hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Direct management of Visitor Services Associates, Visitor Experience Specialists, Visitor Services Supervisors, and volunteers, including training and supervision of all Visitor Services desk staff.
- Updates and maintains handbooks of departmental procedures and policies with accurate information that is readily available to staff and volunteers.
- Provides public and museum visitors with clear and accurate information.
- Ensures Visitor Services equipment, facilities, and resources are functional and transactions can be completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manages customer service correspondence and documentation.
- Completes daily data imports and completes financial reports.
- Updates information in the online calendar and ticketing system as needed, and communicates with Education program coordinators and Communications staff to ensure accurate information for all classes and programs.
- Provides exceptional customer service to visitors and members in person, online, and over the phone.
- Must be able to perform all duties at the Visitor Services desk as needed.
- Graduation from a college or university with coursework in business, merchandising, public relations, museum studies, or related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal and oral communication skills, and the ability to handle a wide range of customer service issues and use sound judgment when working with visitors and staff.
- Strong leadership and organization skills, and the ability to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of customer service; of supervision, training and personnel management; of fiscal reporting and accounting; and basic data analysis. A comprehensive understanding of VMFA operations, programs and collections is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and conduct training for staff; to organize and supervise the work of a large and diverse staff; to work in a high-pressure and fast-paced environment; and to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Advanced skill in the use of personal computers, word processing and spreadsheets, as well as ticketing and scheduling software. Experience with Outbound, Counterpoint, and Raiser’s Edge software is a plus.
- Commits to working a full time schedule that includes evenings, weekends and some holidays.
- Must be able to do moderate lifting (under 10 lbs), traverse the museum, communicate with staff and visitors in person and via telephone with reasonable accommodations.
- Prior experience in a supervisory capacity in a museum, retail, or hospitality environment.
- Prior coursework in art, art history, or museum studies
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter. Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.