At the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA), we facilitate beautiful memories.
The Events Team is relentlessly passionate about their work. Every event detail is a touchpoint, a foundational pinning, evoking the right ambiance, feeling, and desired energy. Our dedicated service professionals bear witness and make possible some of the best days ever for our guests.
“…people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
We welcome applications to skilled service professionals who are team-centric and positively energetic to join the museum as Event Staff.
This is a non-exempt position without benefits, eligible to work up to approximately 28 hours per week on average and up to 1,450 hours annually (May 1 – April 30).
Why Join the Events Team?
We are proud of our diverse workforce and vibrant art-filled surroundings. We value your strengths and experiences. Come be yourself!
The team works to provide reasonable and advanced-scheduling notice to staff within the agreed upon availability. We are open 365 days a year, therefore there are a number of event opportunities to work.
Work with people whose talents shine not only at work but also beyond work hours. Many of our staff are creatives who find an ease in serving others, have an eye for the details, and enjoy the flexibility this position offers.
Revenue from events and other Enterprise operations directly supports museum operations. VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission. Our purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art and to encourage the study of the arts.
Professionalism is a key tenet in our workplace. We treat each other no less than how we treat our guests. Come create career-supportive relationships with some of the best service professionals in the industry. Learn and grow with us.
All VMFA staff enjoy free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse, Best Café and the VMFA Shop. Event Staff uniforms are provided.
About the Work
The work is straightforward, make guests feel special.
Here is how Event Staff accomplish this as a team:
- Set-up area(s) to specifications, bringing life to event’s vision; linens, lighting, décor, accessories, etcetera.
- Anticipate and accommodate guest needs, respond to requests in a professional and polite manner.
- Serve fantastic fare to guests, replenishing food stations, drinks, and ensure that guests’ needs are met.
- Support other event-related activities.
- Break down of event area, returning to pre-event status.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to demonstrate a professional demeanor with guests and other employees.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow basic floor plans, menus and instructions.
- Ability to remain calm, professional and gracious in a fast paced, high-pressure environment.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance during events.
- Ability to be prompt and punctual to scheduled shifts.
- Ability to use fine and gross motor skills; finger and hand dexterity; reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; and taste and smell.
- Ability to stand or walk for up to 10 hours.
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Prior fine dining or food service experience, particularly in event service.
- Knowledge of fine dining, beer, wine and food is also preferred.
- ServSafe certification.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Posting may close after five business days of opening. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before 11:59 pm on April 19, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at email@example.com if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply for this position: