The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) invites applications for Construction Administration Manager, Expansion and Renovation.
This a temporary, salaried, exempt position with an anticipated end date of January 2027.
The position offers Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits such as 12 paid holidays, health benefits, and more. VMFA staff also enjoy agency benefits like free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse Restaurant, Best Café, and VMFA Shop.
VMFA has begun an expansion and renovation project that will enable the museum to share more art, welcome more visitors, and provide more enjoyment on a seamless journey through the museum’s collections. In keeping with the museum’s Strategic Plan, which is a public-private partnership, the project will include a new addition of galleries and event spaces, as well as renovations to our current spaces.
This critical position will be responsible for the high-touch construction coordination and management of the museum’s day-to-day 190 million-dollar expansion and renovation construction project. As a direct report to the CEO and Museum Director, this position will lend heavily coordinated efforts and expertise to the Expansion Project Director – Chief Curator and Deputy Director for Arts and Education. In addition, this position will coordinate with the COO/CHRO – Deputy Director for Museum Operations, HR Services and Volunteers, along with the Executive Director for Facilities, Building & Grounds and Capital Outlay/Maintenance Reserve (capital and non-capital) on the daily management of overlapping and associated expansion and renovation projects-deferred maintenance (if applicable).
The primary responsibilities of Construction Administration Manager will include:
- Provide leadership and guidance throughout the pre-during-post construction and building process phases.
- Work closely with the CEO/Museum Director, Expansion Project Director-Chief Curator and Deputy Director, and Contractor to identify and coordinate the project’s budget and establish deadlines, materials and professionals needed to achieve their goals for each phase of construction.
- Be on-site during construction period to ensure the project goes smoothly. Identify red flags – addressed by VMFA leadership and associated state agency – Department of General Services (DGS) Project Management Team.
- Supervision of construction contractors, architectural firms, engineering firms, consulting specialists, and associated capital outlay and facilities services during construction or renovation of facilities.
- Construction Administration Manager will track progress for the new construction and make sure that workers have a safe environment to conduct their job duties.
- Review preliminary and final plans; make recommendations for improving engineering details and construction practicality.
- Contract management, planning and estimating, monitoring schedules for vendor compliance.
- Inspecting materials and workmanship to ensure compliance with contract documents,
- Budget control and negotiations with contractors and Architecture/Engineering firms through project closeout and owner occupancy.
- A working knowledge and experience in the construction industry is vital and essential.
- Ability to liaise with and support VMFA leadership and DGS/Project Management Team to ensure the project is executed safely and properly.
- Ability to make decisions in a fair, impartial and independent manner.
- Ability to work with different state and agency/VMFA personnel.
- Ability to keep a record of the building contract and the work involved.
- Ability to coordinate actions with internal procurement and legal teams if needed.
- Ability to resolve disputes or conflict resolution with contractors.
- Ability to issue daily reports, noncompliance notices, and complete a cost issue log.
- Demonstrated experience with overseeing occupancy, turn over and closeout processes.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities to apply all contractual obligations and provisions.
- Embody excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as demonstrated professionalism, accuracy, and follow through in work assignments are essential.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in architecture, engineering, or construction management or related field, or substantive professional experience and direct experience with building/expansion-focused projects and or construction management.
- Registered Professional Architect or Engineer.
The selected candidate must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Posting may close after five business days of opening.
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.