At the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA), we facilitate beautiful memories.
The Events Team is relentlessly passionate about their work. Every event detail is a touchpoint, a foundational pinning, evoking the right ambiance, feeling, and desired energy. Our dedicated service professionals bear witness and make possible some of the best days ever for our guests.
“…people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
We welcome applications to skilled service professionals who are team-centric and positively energetic to join the museum as Food & Beverage Supervisor.
This is a non-exempt position without benefits, eligible to work up to approximately 28 hours per week on average and up to 1,450 hours annually (May 1 – April 30).
We are proud of our diverse workforce and vibrant art-filled surroundings. We value your strengths and experiences. Come be yourself!
The team works to provide reasonable and advanced-scheduling notice to staff within the agreed upon availability. We are open 365 days a year, therefore there are a number of event opportunities to work.
Work with people whose talents shine not only at work but also beyond work hours. Many of our staff are creatives who find an ease in serving others, have an eye for the details, and enjoy the flexibility this position offers.
Revenue from events and other Enterprise operations directly supports museum operations. VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission. Our purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art and to encourage the study of the arts.
Professionalism is a key tenet in our workplace. We treat each other no less than how we treat our guests. Come create career-supportive relationships with some of the best service professionals in the industry. Learn and grow with us.
All VMFA staff enjoy free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse, Best Café and the VMFA Shop.
Here is how Food & Beverage Supervisors accomplish this as a team:
- Supervise all front-of-house operations for various special events throughout the museum
- Experience in cash handling and point of sales systems
- Communicate with back-of-house staff to ensure guest satisfaction
- Ensure established food service protocols and procedures are upheld; including health and safety
- Understanding Food Services scheduling system and ability schedule staff as needed
- Assist in preparing event space for service
- Provide exceptional food and beverage service to guests
- Resolve customer issues should they arise
- Communicate and resolve problems and issues that may arise during shifts
- Assist managers with associate recruitment and on-boarding as needed
- Assist managers with associate performance issues and reviews
- Ability to handle face-paced, high volume situations.
- Knowledge of various aspects of meal service and food items.
- Ability to solve problems independently.
- Knowledge of a full service bar and ABC standards.
- Knowledge of cash handling policies and procedures.
- Ability to use a point of sales system.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, holidays, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team.
- Ability to take inventory of linen, glassware and other essential materials.
- Ability to solve problems independently.
- Ability to communicate instructions accurately.
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand or walk for up to 8 hours.
- Previous special events/banquet/food service experience.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- ServSafe Food Handler’s certification is a plus.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Posting will close at 11:59 pm on November 23, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply for this position: