THIS IS A RE-POSTING. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS DO NOT NEED TO RE-APPLY.
At the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA), we value our employees.
The Building and Grounds team is relentlessly passionate about their work. Every day we come to work and support the needs of the museum by completing the necessary work to ensure that operations run smoothly.
We are proud of our diverse workforce and vibrant art-filled surroundings. We value your strengths and experiences. Come be yourself!
The Building and Grounds team works to offer flexible scheduling for our employees. We also alternate on-call shifts so employees can enjoy their time off when not on call.
Work with people whose unique perspectives and talents are appreciated. Our Building and Grounds staff work together as a team to accomplish the work needed and everyone’s unique talents and contributions are valued.
The work completed by the Building and Grounds team supports museum operations. VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission. Our purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art and to encourage the study of the arts.
Professionalism is a key tenet in our workplace. Come create career-supportive relationships with some of the best professionals in the industry. Learn and grow with us.
All VMFA staff enjoy free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse, Best Café and the VMFA Shop. Employee uniforms are provided.
About the Work
With rotating on-call responsibilities, this role is the first responder to issues or emergencies that occur after business hours that may potentially disrupt museum operations.
- Maintain all life safety systems on the museum’s campus to include, but not limited to: all sprinkler and fire suppression systems, fire pump, fire extinguishers, on campus hydrants, commercial kitchen exhaust hood systems, atrium smoke exhaust and make up fans, main building generator, remote radiator, parking deck generator.
- Maintain proper fuel levels for generators.
- Assist contractors during testing of all life safety equipment when needed.
- Provides first response to problems and resolves problems or emergencies after normal business hours on a rotational basis.
- Through training learn to operate the computerized Building Automation System that controls the Museum’s HVAC equipment, which provides the proper temperature and humidity environment.
- Troubleshoots temperature and humidity alarms in the art related areas to determine if mechanical or computer related.
- Resets building computer programming to restart the Museum’s physical plant after power failures/spikes.
- Starts/stops equipment; tests safety alarms, etc.
- Performs daily work checks on assigned equipment.
- Checks for problems and adjustment needs, performs checks in other technicians’ areas during their absence.
- Maintains assigned equipment, assigned equipment rooms, and parts inventory.
- Ensures the proper use and upkeep of assigned tools.
- Designated as essential personnel.
- Maintains work orders and reports.
- Submits work orders to the supervisor.
- Actively contributes to agency Small, Women and Minority (SWaM) business goals by properly following and/or enforcing museum procurement policies and procedures and promoting the SWaM program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- Must have a Journeyman level card in electrical or mechanical field, or a Nicet Level 1 certificate; or be willing to obtain within one year of employment.
- Certificate of completion from an accredited school for pipefitters and/or fire sprinkler program.
- Considerable experience at mechanic level in the field of commercial/industrial fire sprinkler installation and/ or maintenance.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
As Designated / Essential Staff, this position may be required to perform other duties related to security, safety and health as assigned (i.e. training).
As Designated / Essential Staff, this position may be required to assist the museum or state government during inclement weather or in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor or the Director of the Museum.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. This position is open until filled. Posting may close after five business days of opening. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before 11:59 pm on November 29, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply: