At the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA), we create unique dining experiences.
When dining at VMFA, every aspect of the meal is a touch point, a foundational pinning, evoking the right ambiance, feeling, and desired energy. Our dedicated service professionals bear witness and make possible some of the best days ever for our guests.
“…people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
We welcome applications to skilled service professionals who are team-centric and positively energetic to join the museum as a Kitchen Supervisor.
This is a non-exempt position without benefits, eligible to work up to approximately 28 hours per week on average and up to 1,450 hours annually (May 1 – April 30).
We are proud of our diverse workforce and vibrant art-filled surroundings. We value your strengths and experiences. Come be yourself!
The team works to provide reasonable and advanced-scheduling notice to staff within the agreed upon availability. We are open 365 days a year, therefore there are a variety of shifts to work. We are open for lunch service 7 days a week, and offer dinner service on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Work with people whose talents shine not only at work but also beyond work hours. Many of our staff are creatives who find an ease in serving others, have an eye for the details, and enjoy the flexibility this position offers.
Revenue from Enterprise operations directly supports museum operations. VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission. Our purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art and to encourage the study of the arts.
Professionalism is a key tenet in our workplace. We treat each other no less than how we treat our guests. Come create career-supportive relationships with some of the best service professionals in the industry. Learn and grow with us.
All VMFA staff enjoy free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse, Best Café and the VMFA Shop.
The work is straightforward, working together to maintain exceptionally high standards of quality in food production and presentation for VMFA venues.
- Along with kitchen manager & chefs, assures smooth back of house kitchen operations and quality food production for VMFA kitchens.
- Support kitchen management and chefs as a supervisor, when they are not available or working on other projects.
- Directs and assists all other kitchen prep cooks to ensure that standards are met and efficients are in place; ensure that quality and consistency are upheld.
- Works with kitchen management to ensure that expectations are well-communicated and that timelines are clear.
- Performance issues as well as employee feedback are brought to management’s attention in a timely manner; safety and food issues are reviewed and communicated to ensure a safe and healthy workplace.
- Completes all necessary safety training and certifications, as deemed by the museum, Department of Health and ServSafe guidelines.
- Assist management in the training, hiring, scheduling, evaluating, coaching, motivating, and overall performance management of employees under their supervision.
- Understands, operates and trains others in the use of kitchen equipment and protocols.
- Helps interface with front of house staff, as necessary, to ensure consistent quality of product and service; attends departmental meetings as necessary.
- Helps in daily production of food for cafe and events; works with kitchen management to determine frequency of change and menus.
- Ensures that prep cooks have the necessary tools and equipment and instructions to work without issues.
- Assists Kitchen Manager and Chefs with special projects, as assigned by the Culinary Director or museum; works as needed in an events capacity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to demonstrate a professional demeanor with guests and other employees.
- Embraces and understands diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Thorough experience and/or education, excellent cooking and kitchen production skills.
- Ability to multitask, solve problems and make sound decisions in an ever changing restaurant landscape.
- Full knowledge of principles and best practices in foodservice operation; equipment operation.
- Ability to remain calm, professional and gracious in a fast paced, high-pressure environment.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance during service.
- Ability to be prompt and punctual to scheduled shifts.
- Flexible availability that includes weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Ability to use fine and gross motor skills; finger and hand dexterity; reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; and taste and smell.
- Ability to stand or walk for up to 10 hours.
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to communicate, document, implement, and enforce departmental policies.
- Knowledge of kitchen sanitation and safety regulations.
- Supervisory experience.
- ServSafe Certification.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Posting will close at 11:59 pm on November 27, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply: