OPEN TO CURRENT VMFA EMPLOYEES ONLY
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking a service-oriented librarian to join the Collection and Conservation Division as a Reference Librarian reporting to the Director of the Library and Special Collections department. The Reference Librarian is primarily responsible for staffing the reference desk during public hours in the reading room of the Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is a state-supported, privately endowed educational institution created for the benefit of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Its purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art, to encourage the study of the arts, and thus to enrich the lives of all. As one of the world’s finest museums and one of the largest comprehensive art museums in the United States, the VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission.
This faculty, exempt position offers Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits such as 12 paid holidays, health benefits and more. VMFA staff also enjoy agency benefits like free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse Restaurant, Best Café, and VMFA Shop.
This position also includes a $3,000.00 sign on bonus.
- Conducts reference interviews with patrons and responds to requests for information or access to materials in a timely manner.
- Checks materials in and out of the library catalogue using WorkFlows.
- Provides guidance and instruction on the proper use of all library resources, online catalogues, research databases, electronic resources, computers, copiers, and other equipment.
- Monitors activity in the reading room to ensure security of resources, staff and
- equipment Works on special projects as assigned.
- Knowledge of best practices for use, handling, care, storage and maintenance of paper based collections.
- Public service experience, organizational aptitude and and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team to provide quality reference services to a wide variety of patrons.
- MLIS and/or over 5 years of experience in public service in an academic or museum library.
- Bachelor of Arts with coursework in art history or a related humanities discipline.
- Reading knowledge of a foreign language.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. This position will close at 11:59 p.m. on November 22, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply: