Amuse Restaurant is a contemporary fine dining restaurant overlooking the Robins Sculpture Garden, featuring an innovative menu and fresh, local ingredients. Just like the works of art in the museum and on the walls of Amuse, visitors delight in new masterpiece dishes and cocktails.
When dining at Amuse, every aspect of the meal is a touchpoint, a foundational pinning, evoking the right ambiance, feeling, and desired energy. Our dedicated service professionals bear witness and make possible some of the best days ever for our guests
“…people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
We welcome applications to skilled service professionals who are team-centric and positively energetic to join the museum as Amuse Expeditor.
This is a non-exempt position without benefits, eligible to work up to approximately 28 hours per week on average and up to 1,450 hours annually (May 1 – April 30).
We are proud of our diverse workforce and vibrant art-filled surroundings. We value your strengths and experiences. Come be yourself!
The team works to provide reasonable and advanced-scheduling notice to staff within the agreed upon availability. We are open 365 days a year, therefore there are a variety of shifts to work. We are open for lunch service 7 days a week, and offer dinner service on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Work with people whose talents shine not only at work but also beyond work hours. Many of our staff are creatives who find an ease in serving others, have an eye for the details, and enjoy the flexibility this position offers.
Revenue from Amuse and other Enterprise operations directly supports museum operations. VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission. Our purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art and to encourage the study of the arts.
Professionalism is a key tenet in our workplace. We treat each other no less than how we treat our guests. Come create career-supportive relationships with some of the best service professionals in the industry. Learn and grow with us.
All VMFA staff enjoy free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse, Best Café and the VMFA Shop.
The work is straightforward, working together to offer an elevated dining experience.
- Assists in setting tables and rearranging the dining area to accommodate larger groups, private parties or as needed.
- Maintains table settings to include replenishing utensils, filling water glasses, removing courses as completed.
- Able to answer guests’ questions, with a general knowledge of the museum.
- Has specific knowledge about the Amuse menu and beverage service and has good general knowledge about food, wine and spirits.
- Contributes and adheres to our exceptional service standards; has a professional demeanor and appearance and is able to remain calm, think under pressure and help keep up operations in a fast paced fine dining environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to demonstrate a professional demeanor with guests and other employees.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow basic restaurant floor plan, menus and instructions.
- Ability to receive and follow scheduling via computerized software.
- Ability to use fine and gross motor skills; finger and hand dexterity; reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; and taste and smell.
- Ability to lift, carry, deliver items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to be prompt and punctual to scheduled shifts; working various schedules and shifts throughout normal business hours.
- Ability to multitask, solve problems and make sound decisions in an ever changing restaurant landscape.
- Ability to remain calm, professional and gracious in a fast paced, high-pressure environment.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance during service.
- Ability to maintain knowledge of menu items and ingredients.
- Prior fine dining or food service experience, particularly in fast-paced restaurants.
- Knowledge of ABC best practices and regulations’ RSVP or TIPS training.
- Knowledge of fine dining, beer, wine and food is also preferred.
- ServSafe Food Handler’s certification is a plus.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Posting may close after five (5) business days. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by 11:59 pm on November 22, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at email@example.com if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply for this position: