At the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA), we facilitate beautiful memories.
The Events Team is relentlessly passionate about their work. Every event detail is a touchpoint, a foundational pinning, evoking the right ambiance, feeling, and desired energy. Our dedicated service professionals bear witness and make possible some of the best days ever for our guests.
“…people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
We welcome applications to skilled service professionals who are team-centric and positively energetic to join the museum as Special Events Bartender.
This is a non-exempt position without benefits, eligible to work up to approximately 28 hours per week on average and up to 1,450 hours annually (May 1 – April 30).
We are proud of our diverse workforce and vibrant art-filled surroundings. We value your strengths and experiences. Come be yourself!
The team works to provide reasonable and advanced-scheduling notice to staff within the agreed upon availability. We are open 365 days a year, therefore there are a number of event opportunities to work.
Work with people whose talents shine not only at work but also beyond work hours. Many of our staff are creatives who find an ease in serving others, have an eye for the details, and enjoy the flexibility this position offers.
Revenue from events and other Enterprise operations directly supports museum operations. VMFA is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission. Our purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret art and to encourage the study of the arts.
Professionalism is a key tenet in our workplace. We treat each other no less than how we treat our guests. Come create career-supportive relationships with some of the best service professionals in the industry. Learn and grow with us.
All VMFA staff enjoy free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse, Best Café and the VMFA Shop.
Here is how Special Event Bartenders accomplish this as a team:
- Use standard beverage recipes.
- Prepare bars and keep them stocked throughout the shift.
- Check ID’s of guests and ensure that all forms of identification are valid.
- Mix drinks based on serving size outlined by management and Alcohol Beverage Control guidelines.
- Monitor alcohol inventory to maintain appropriate levels.
- Complete consumption reports after shift.
- Maintain tight controls on alcohol throughout shift.
- Deliver a consistently high level of customer service to the client and maintain a safe environment by identifying problem clients and addressing the situation appropriately with management.
- Perform accurate recording of all alcohol transfers.
- Adhere to all safety and sanitary practices.
- Knowledge of ABC policies and guidelines.
- Prepare and serve consistent beverages.
- Investigate and resolve customer complaints if needed.
- Ability to handle face-paced, high volume situations.
- Ability to operate calmly, professionally and graciously in a fast paced, high-pressure workplace.
- Knowledge of a full service bar, recipes for various alcoholic beverages and exceptional understanding of ABC policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable of basic bar equipment including shaker, strainer, juicer, muddler, etc.
- Ability to set up, maintain, break down bar.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance.
- Ability to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; and taste and smell.
- Ability to be prompt and punctual to scheduled shifts.
- Ability to solve problems independently.
- Knowledge of cash handling policies and procedures.
- Ability to use a point of sales system.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, holidays, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team.
- Ability to solve problems independently.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and follow directions and instructions.
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand or walk for up to 8 hours.
- Prior knowledge of Alcohol Beverage Control policies and guidelines.
- Prior experience as a bartender and/or server.
- Prior experience in a fast paced, fine dining environment.
- Prior bartending education and training.
- ServSafe Food Handler’s certification is a plus.
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number and email address. References may be attached in a separate document in the “other” field in the portal; or they may be included with the resume or cover letter.
Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Posting may close after five business days of opening. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before 11:59 pm on May 27, 2022.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Read more.
Click here to apply for this position: