The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is seeking a dynamic individual to join the Communications & Marketing Division as a Web Content Manager.
The Web Content Manager oversees the development, maintenance, and administration of the museum’s website, to inform, engage, and drive visitors to the museum. The role is responsible for keeping the website up to date and accurate and ensuring a positive user experience. Working collaboratively with colleagues across the organization—including content experts, writers, and editors—the position serves as project manager for web content, from development to execution. This position enforces intelligent content design, digital information and best practices, and the special requirements of web writing. The ideal candidate is highly collaborative, has exceptional attention to detail, and has an entrepreneurial spirit.
The Web Content Manager will play a key role in a redesign of the current website, working closely with key stakeholders to translate organization-wide brand and content strategy into an effective online presence.
This position reports to the Senior Marketing Manager in the Communications & Marketing Division.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as project manager for content development by creating and tracking schedules to update the website.
- Perform content publishing, maintenance, and updates.
- Create and support a network of content contributors across the organization to ensure diversity of content, providing training when necessary.
- Conduct content audits to identify gaps and redundancies in the site content.
- Enforce intelligent content design and digital information design best practices.
- Review content for accuracy and assist in light editing to ensure brand and editorial consistency.
- Occasionally train staff on using the CMS and best practices for web content development.
- Make continual UX and performance enhancements.
- Develop and update process documents and policies relating to the organization’s web content, such as site structure and style.
- Supervise the upkeep and technological development of the website, working with developers and internal IT to ensure it meets the needs of the organization.
- Manage the museum’s CMS.
- Manage or advise consultants contributing to the museum’s various digital engagement strategies. Articulate technical specifications for necessary project deliverables.
- Advise and assist with institutional database integration where possible (especially related to ticketing, collections management, email marketing, and e-commerce).
Analytics & Reporting
- Assess web performance and report web analytics and insights to evaluate the effectiveness of the museum’s web efforts.
- Track progress against goals on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Conduct competitor and peer research to stay up-to-date on digital efforts in the museum field.
- Serves as a thought-leader on digital marketing, including reaching more diverse audiences.
- The Web Content Manager will play a key role in a redesign of the current website, working closely with key stakeholders to translate organization-wide brand and content strategy into an effective online presence.
- Demonstrated in-depth experience with management of Content Management Systems. Familiarity with WordPress is a plus.
- A comprehensive knowledge of web content strategy and user experience design.
- An expert in information architecture, web analysis, and SEO best practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Google Analytics.
- Experience creating, writing, and editing web content.
- Analytic and problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Experience successfully managing key internal stakeholders and relationships. Proven ability to collaborate across divisions to implement processes and achieve results.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently, and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion. Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proven ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and digital marketing best practices.
- The selected candidate must pass a criminal history background check.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Substantive and progressive web management and digital strategy experience in a collaborative team environment.
- Experience designing websites to meet institutional requirements and federal accessibility standards and cross-browser compatibility.
- Proven data-analysis skills, including experience with user testing, customer segmentation, and interpreting results.
- Experience in managing and/or contributing to a website redesign, digital transformation effort, infrastructure-related project, or content migration.
- Experience working within a team environment alongside marketing experts, content experts, writers, editors, and designers.
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
Interested individuals must submit an online application. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by March 15, 2023. However, this posting will remain open until filled. Please contact the HR office at email@example.com if you need assistance.
Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer. Diverse and inclusive hiring practices are at the heart of what we do at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Apply here: Web Content Manager