In addition to your application form, please submit one of the following:
- Portfolio with three examples of works in the following media:
1. Graphic Design
2. Drawing/ Illustration
3. 3-D Rendering
- Writing sample
- Teacher recommendation
CD or DVD: Applicants may submit their work digitally on a CD or DVD. Discs should be labeled with applicant’s name and contact information. Individual files should be in JPEG (.jpg) format with file sizes not exceeding 1 MB each. Time-based work should be submitted in either QuickTime (.mov) format or Windows Media Video (.wmv).
Original and printed works of art will not be accepted.
Your writing sample should be in response to one of the following prompts (keep the helpful writing tips below in mind):
A. Write a wall label for two works of art located in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Think creatively. Wall labels generally include artist and object information, historical or cultural context, process and materials. Each label should be between 100-150 words.
B. Submit an exhibition proposal (500-1,000 words). Include:
2. What is the theme or topic of your exhibition?
3. What are the objectives of your exhibition? What will visitors learn or take away from the experience?
4. How will you engage visitors? Do you plan to use interactive or participatory elements?
- Carefully read and follow all directions.
- Do not exceed the maximum word-count.
- Be straightforward and confident
- Type your work
- Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font
- Proofread your work
The recommendation should provide insight into your:
- Performance as a student
- Aptitude and industriousness
- Maturity and seriousness of purpose
- Level of commitment and ability to follow through
- Leadership abilities and/or experience
Teacher recommendations should be written on school letterhead or e-mailed from an official school account.
Sept 13, 2015
Mail portfolios and teacher recommendations to:
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Attn: Jessica Bauserman
200 N. Boulevard
Richmond, VA 23220
Or deliver to VMFA’s Pauley Center security desk (Mon – Fri, 9 am – 7 pm or Sat, 9 am – 4 pm).
Students will receive notification of their acceptance by Sept 18, 2015.
For information about the program and qualifications, see M. LiT: Museum Leaders in Training.
Jessica Bauserman, Youth and Family Programs Event Coordinator