Literature and fine arts come together with African American Read-In at VMFA. See and hear notable figures from the greater Richmond community as they lend their voices in prose and poetry readings throughout the galleries. In this powerful display of storytelling, experience evocative and poignant pairings of works by African American artists and authors.
The following works will be highlighted at this year’s program
The following community readers will join us for this year’s program*:
- Amber Esseiva, Assistant Curator at the Institute for Contemporary Art at VCU
- Tobias Wofford, Assistant Professor of Art History, VCUarts
- Ross S. Browne, Professional Studio Artist & Instructor of Therapeutic Art
- Todd Waldo, Engineer, Artist and Community Advocate
- Adrienne Cole Johnson, Director of Family and Community Engagement for Henrico County Public schools
- Cheryl Miller, Anchor, CBS6 News WTVR
- Dr. Corey D. B. Walker, Visiting Professor, The Jepson School of Leadership Studies and the School of Arts and Sciences, University of Richmond
- The Honorable Mayor Levar Stoney, City of Richmond
- Nell Draper-Winston
- Dr. Lance Watson, Reverend, St. Paul’s Baptist Church
Prior to the Read-in, attend the unveiling of the RVA Community Makers Art Activity!
*speakers subject to change