Other objects to try
You can try the Be the Artist approach with any work of art. Here are a few more VMFA objects you might want to examine this way. As the artist of the work, HOW did you make it? Consider:
- The form, textures, and colors used.
- The imagery and patterns you can see.
- The materials and tools the artist might have needed.
- The decisions the artist made. Was there a plan?
- What was the artist thinking about: Who might have been the audience for this work? Does it seem to have a purpose (political, spiritual, or practical)? What makes you think so?
Now imagine you could visit with this artist for an interview and the chance to share your ideas about the artwork with the artist. What questions would you ask? What insights would you share?