We are here to help you plan a fun and fulfilling visit to VMFA; please feel free to phone our Visitor Services desk at 804.340.1405 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information about accessibility in our temporary exhibitions and around the museum.
Drop-off Area and Parking
Designated accessible parking is available for vehicles bearing a valid disability parking permit in the following areas:
- On the north side of the main museum building, adjacent to the Robinson House, accessible from N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard (This parking area is free of charge.)
- On the entry level of the VMFA Parking Deck (This is a covered parking deck that can be accessed by following the museum’s front-entrance driveway from N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard or by entering from the intersection of Sheppard St and Stuart Ave. All levels of the parking deck are accessible by elevator from the entry level. The entry level has a flat pathway to the main entrance. Parking in the VMFA Parking Deck costs $6 per day and is free for VMFA members.)
A vehicle drop-off area is available adjacent to the main entrance, and can be accessed from N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard.
Courtesy Wheelchairs & Wheelchair Accessibility
Manual and motorized wheelchairs are available for use free of charge at the coat check desk at the main entrance on a first-come, first-served basis (no reservations).
VMFA’s main building, the Sculpture Garden, the Pauley Center, the Studio School, the Robinson House Virginia Tourism Center, all elevators, and all restrooms are wheelchair-accessible. If you need a wheelchair upon arrival, please ask a security officer.
Nursing & Bottle Feeding
Nursing and bottle feeding are welcome in all areas of the museum. Bottles must be securely covered and stored when not in use. A Mother’s Lounge is available on Level 1 near the Interactive Gallery.
Large-print versions of labels and wall didactics for ticketed Special Exhibitions in our Lower Level galleries are available on iPads at the exhibition entrance on a first-come, first-served basis.
Audio Tours are available onsite for selected exhibitions and for the permanent collection. Audio Tours are also available on VMFA’s website on the Museum Tours page. Verbal description guides of select permanent collection objects are also available.
Transcripts of audio tours are available on the museum’s website, and print-outs of the transcripts are also available at the Visitor Services Desk.
Groups of visitors who are blind or partially sighted may experience works of art through pre-arranged touch tours facilitated by VMFA Education staff or volunteer tour guides. Touch Tours are available to groups of 10–20 individuals (adults and students in grades K–12) as staff and gallery space are available. These tours must be booked two months in advance. Contact Kathy Parrish 804.340.1575 or email@example.com.
Sign Language Interpreters can be provided with four-weeks notice for guided group tours. To book your guided tour and interpreter, please contact Tour Services at 804.340.1419 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least four weeks in advance of your visit.
The entrance to the VMFA Library is on Level 1 in the museum’s Atrium. The following resources are available to VMFA Library visitors:
- Wheelchair accessible reference desk and computer kiosks
- Adjustable-height work tables
- Handheld magnification devices
- All-in-One HD Video Magnifier with Selective Text-to-Speech
- Text-to-Speech (OCR)
- 3-in-1 Camera (A high-performance desktop video magnifier (CCTV), featuring Full HD, selective text-to-speech (OCR), and a 3-in-1 camera for printed books)
If you have specific dietary needs, please phone ahead at 804.340.1576 to ask about the day’s menu in Best Café and Amuse Restaurant, or visit our Dining, Shopping, and Facilities Rentals web page for more information.
Your Online Experience
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts strives to continually improve the online experience for all visitors to our website. If you are unable to access website content or have suggestions to enhance the user experience, please contact us by emailing email@example.com or writing:
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Attn: Communications & Marketing (Web Department)
200 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard
Richmond, Virginia 23220