leaded glass, paint
Overall: 144 7/8 × 118 in. (367.98 × 299.72 cm)

At the turn of the twentieth century, leaded-glass window made by Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company were in great demand by American churches. This window was created for All Saints Episcopal Church in Richmond, Virginia by Frederick Wilson who designed thousands of religious figural windows and mosaics for Tiffany. Wilson's work exemplifies the dramatic effects of color, light, and texture that could be achieved in glass through a variety of innovative techniques.

The congregation of All Saints Episcopal Church grew out of a Sunday school and evening-service chapel established in 1883 by Monumental Church. In 1887-88, the congregation built its first Gothic brick church on the east side of Madison between Grove and Franklin in Richmond, Virginia. Later, between 1898 and 1900, All Saints Episcopal Church built another larger church on the north side of the 300 block of West Franklin Street.

The window, installed at the West Franklin Street church between 1898 and 1901, was commissioned by Mary Jane Bell Saunders as a memorial to her husband, Edmund Archer Saunders, Sr. (1818-98), a prominent Richmond merchant. When All Saints Episcopal Church moved to its new building on River Road in Henrico County in 1957, the window was placed in storage where it had remained until recent years.

The Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company created additional windows for All Saints around 1900. These windows - which can still be seen at the church's River Road location - include The Beatitudes in the chapel and The Te Deum in the chancel.

Gift of All Saints Episcopal Church, Richmond, Virginia
Image released via Creative Commons CC-BY-NC

Some object records are not complete and do not reflect VMFA's full and current knowledge. VMFA makes routine updates as records are reviewed and enhanced.